Tuesday, February 07, 2006

NETFLIX doesn't suck as much as you think!

While I enjoy the occasional Michael Bay film once in a while. (yes THE ISLAND was one of my recent rentals) I have to say NETFLIX has some damn odd films. If you look hard enough you'll find em. COME ON! Mainstream title are easy to find. Anything done in the last 5 years is there but if you want to find something stuck in your craw that you just have to see your pretty much out of luck.
I almost gave up hope when I could not find "WAR OF THE GARGANTUANS" or the Universal Classic "THIS ISLAND EARTH" but ...
Never give up hope!
While I could not locate those fine films I have found a couple that are equally if not more entertaining.

And old favorite was released and I have been looking for this since 1980. It was finally put onto dvd in 2001 under the wrong title.
The Russian film JACK FROST Is a film I have been searching for since I found a bizarre Bootleg copy in a mom and pop video rental store back in 1980. Its it the most poorly dubbed film I have ever seen. The english voice talent is simply ridiculous. I cannot tell you any more than that. You'll have to get it for yourself and see. If your unlucky you can catch the film on Mystery Science Theater. While the show sometimes makes bad films better with goofy jokes it makes this film worse. Its a damn laugh riot on its own and must be seem from start to finish. Oh, and don't look for the title JACK FROST you may end up with a Michael Keton film and that would be pretty bad. Wouldn't it? Look for the title FATHER FROST.



The big surprise for this week is the film I am watching right now. I'm going to have nightmares.


"LITTLE OTIK" A Czech film that has me creeped out despite its cheesy effects. This is something I didn't expect nor did I prepare for. The odd blurb that is posted on NETFLIX is as follows:
In this bizarre fantasy from the Czech Republic, an ordinary couple, Karel and Bozena, are unable to conceive a child. When Karel digs up a tree root and whittles something vaguely resembling a human baby, Bozena's strong maternal longings transform the stump into a living creature … with a monstrous appetite that can't be met by baby's formula!

This by all means is a much better film than I expected. Please if you want to laugh and get creeped out at the same time see this film.
A very grim fairy tale!

7 Comments:

Blogger WAT said...

I raved about NETFLIX not too long ago (Janurary 14, 2006) myself. Now those are some weird rare movies you're into buddy.

11:31 PM, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

yes I saw your post. Sunset Blvd is an all-time favorite of mine. As is the Warhol "remake" HEAT (shot at the now torn down Tropicana Motel at the corner of La Cieniga and Santa Monica.)
If you like bad film please dear god by all means "FLIX" HEAT!!! Every line is a gem! Everything word is delivered so poorly you just cant believe it! And it has the nerve to be a SUNSET BLVD rip-off! Its something to be seen!
It was part of the Paul Morrisey Trilogy "Flesh" "Trash" and the best one of all "HEAT"

BTW how ya feelin?

12:09 AM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Luke said...

Holy cow- Jack Frost!

"...and nobody touched any water!"

8:58 AM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Luke,
Yes thats the one! the hunchback fairy and Nastinka (not the best name for a young pretty girl) oh and the dubbing where they say words just to match the mouth movement "THAT"S OOOOOOOOOOOOODDDD!"

Brian, Gotta tell ya this director of little otik is something else. He's an animator and I just watched his version of Alice in Wonderland (called ALICE) its a mix of puppets animated dead animals and some animated meat. Its truly disturbing!

12:59 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger EmmaPeel007 said...

I know how much you love "Eraserhead" - that movie game me nightmars for ages... For the love of all that is good and pure, WHAT THE FUCK WAS IT ABOUT??!?!???!!?

Now I'm sure you're gonna relax with a little "Forbidden Zone" **shudder**

1:03 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Dont you dare mock THE FORBIDDEN ZONE! Herve Villachez at his finest!
That film is the sole reason why I got into production in the first place.

2:48 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will have to check those out. I love horror films but they hardly ever scare me.

7:38 PM, February 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home