Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Next time I'll call ahead for a reservation.


So again I wander into the emergency room at Cedars. This time it was packed. Packed with moaning people. People who look like they are going to drop dead any minute. I managed to find a seat and hold onto it for about 2 hours. I was eyeballed out of the chair because the boyfriend of the woman I was sitting next to had returned from STARBUCKS with her latte. Her latte to comfort in time of need. He got the order wrong. She had asked for a soy latte and he neglected to follow her orders. He needed to sit down he was in bigger trouble than anyone there. I certainly didn't want to sit next to this demanding lactose intolerant shrew for fear of the inevitable. He now had to sit next to that growing gas bubble and be punished for his transgression. I moved to the other side of the room and found a fresh seat by the door. I had stolen yet another companions seat as he went for a smoke. He came back. I didn't budge. The pain had come back and didn't' feel he needed to sit down. This was another 2 hours. The room had become increasingly more crowded. The volunteer at the door was telling newbys that it was at least a four hour wait until the could be processed. Four hours until you get your chance to say what wrong with you. Ouch. (ring ring ring ring bananaphone) The song came back with a stab. The room now devoid of any free seat had patients lining the walls. Two old men came in separately. The first one had a nasty fall and had a nice deep cut on his forehead. It's terrible to see old folk in pain. I cant deal with it. The next man was put in a wheel chair and place in front of me. His daughter said he was in the midst of a stroke.

He was.

I dont do well in simple crowds.The compexity of this room was getting overwhelming. This crowded room of sick people and this poor man suffering sent me packing. I told the volunteer to take my name off the list and she said return tomorrow between 5am and 11am and you should be able to see someone.
That's what I'll do.
I'm now at home (Bananaphone)

6 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

The key to getting sick is not to get sick.

11:04 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Thanks for the tip.

4:46 AM, January 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate being in hospitals, and I've never even had to spend the night in one yet.

7:44 AM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Uggh, I hate the ER, so much drama!

8:44 AM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

Marko , yes. I agree. Not enough comedy!

J.b.
They hate you too, thats why they won't let you stay.

Lasomniloquy: you were right all along. I listened to you and offered that as a possible cause to my first doctor.
She said I was too young for that. (I blame my youthful good looks on my oily skin)
Now are you talking about your situation or mine?

10:33 AM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger 69money69 said...

is org

11:26 AM, February 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home