Friday, October 07, 2005

W. B. is amazing.

Warner Brothers is amazing.
Last week I had the pleasure of eating lunch at the commissary with a dear friend. Afterwards we walked over to the studio store to see what they have to offer. DVDs and CDs. Now its not an impressive MEGA DVD CD blowout warehouse but a nice little store with Warner Bros merch. The main DVD display was filled with Titles that
Warner Bros has released and some they have acquired from ye olde MGM library.
Garbo seemed to be the focus of the day. Garbo silent collections and Garbo classics filled the top two shelves.
What a great display… but wait what’s this? The shelf right below Garbo was a film I have never heard of! NEVER HEARD OF! Holy cow what are the chances. My friend Jamie was eagle-eyed and pointed it out. Thank you Jamie for brining this film into my life. It was a current title. Some sort of spy film.


Funky Monkey.

I’ll have you know I bought that damn dvd and it sat on my tv on display for 2 days before I popped it in the player.
To my disappointment I was only able to watch 15minutes of it before I started to fidget. 20 minutes and it was off to bed.

Funky Monkey is one of the worst films I have ever seen. In a nutshell (and this is easy because the plot is given away during the credits) Animal lover trains monkeys freelance at a secret lab to make monkey ninja spies. He becomes a monkey’s friend and helps him escape the lab and return him to the wild. Since there is no wild in San Diego he returns them to a fictitious monkey park.

It contains everything you would expect. Banana peel slips … you get the idea.

The monkey is clearly a 5’ actor in a mask during the ninja fighting scenes. It’s a real chimp in the close ups.

BAD FILM... BAD!

Now let me remind you that this is the same film studio that hated THX-1138 so much that they almost destroyed Zoetrope pictures. The same studio that fired Richard Donner off of the Superman project. The same studio that has a huge picture advertising GONE WITH THE WIND (a movie they didn’t even make) on the side of the studio. The same studio that also does the Tyra Banks Talk show.

One cool thing they have going is a cool new logo.
WB

4 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Elster said...

If only...

11:14 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

how dare they even put this film on display with garbo!

11:22 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger EmmaPeel007 said...

Dude, Ninja Monkeys - SWEET!

Almost like those CIA-trained Killer Dolphins that are loose in the Gulf of Mexico. Now that's what I'm talking about.

11:53 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Funky Monkey sounds like a flavor of Ben and Jerry's ice cream...

Sounds awful!

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

4:17 AM, October 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home