Sunday, June 11, 2006

In the New York Times

Macabre Pair of Shorts

Troma founders Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz (Period Piece) continue to push forward into the realm of the bizarre, surreal and campy with the 1996 feature film, Macabre Pair of Shorts,a self-proclaimed "comedy of terrors" written and directed by Scott Mabbutt. Done in the mold of such horror comedy classics as Creepshow and Tales from the Darkside: the Movie, Macabre spoofs traditional horror conventions while delivering a hair-raising frightfest. The premise relays the events that unfold one Halloween night when a couple of adventurous cinephiles discover an exceedingly strange reel of film at a motion picture equipment facility. Threading it up on the projector, they suddenly unleash a wacky, B-movie style parade of horrors - from crazed monsters to insatiable, bloodsucking female vampires. ~ Nathan Southern


The new film far surpasses this film in every respect. Scott cut the footage together from the 3days we shot last week and it is fantastic. There are things in the dailies that made me jump. I'm so damn pleased with this film.
Please be kind to MACABRE PAIR OF SHORTS but fear DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS.

6 Comments:

Blogger EmmaPeel007 said...

Okay - I don't know what you read, but that is actually a decent review!

4:55 PM, June 12, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

I read a comment on netflix that made me cringe. I just couldnt re post it so I opted for this instead.

10:29 PM, June 12, 2006  
Blogger EmmaPeel007 said...

Okay - just because you said that I HAD to read it. I'd like to point out a few things about the bad review on Netflix:

1. The person can write and can't spell. To me, that does not bode well.

2. He's only left 3 reviews - all of them painfully written.

3. He's only left BAD reviews. One was for your film, one was for "Wolf Creek" ("Pure unadulteRATED CRAP for zero IQ...Texas Chain Saw has more originality than this and I hated it too!") and the other for "Rumor Has It" (This movie is a real mess. How sad with this cast. I'm not an Aniston fan to begin with and this movie just re-enforced that opinion. Don't waste your time on this stinker").

Yeah, I would't let that Netflix review et to you too much. The Freaking New York Times gave you a decent review!

10:49 AM, June 13, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

yeah but... netflix NETFLIX!!! (no one I know reads the New York Times But they all "FLIX") I actually enjoy the reviews good or bad. In fact the worse the review the more it ascends into cult status.

9:10 AM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger RadioFreeCatlandia said...

Why are you hiding bad reviews from me? email it to me.

1:14 PM, June 14, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Elster said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:28 PM, June 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home